That waterproofing the roof on a convertible is an important task to protect the vehicle from adverse weather conditions and prolong its life, all lovers of roofless travel know. Here are some steps to help you carry out roof waterproofing on your convertible so that you can safely and smoothly prepare your car for the season:
Preparation of materials and tools:
- Convertible fabric waterproofer – preferably a specialized waterproofer designed for this purpose, we recommend Meguiar’s Convertible Weatherpoofer
- Brush for serious dirt or a soft brush for cleaning.
- Soap or detergent for gentle cleaning – we recommend SONAX for cleaning roofs in cabritleats
- Microfiber towels and cloths.
- Protective gloves.
- Protective mask (if the waterproofing is toxic).
- Open the convertible top and make sure it is dry and clean.
- Remove any dirt, such as dust, leaves and branches.
- With a damp brush or sponge, clean the convertible top gently with a cleaner. When doing so, try not to damage the fabric.
- Rinse the roof with clean water and let it dry.
- Make sure the waterproofing is suitable for the material of your convertible roof (for example, PVC fabric, canvas, etc.).
- Carefully read the instructions on the waterproofing package and follow them.
- Usually the waterproofing is applied by brush, roller or spray. Be careful not to damage other vehicle components.
- Make sure that the waterproofing is evenly distributed over the entire surface of the roof. Do not exceed the recommended amount of waterproofing.
- Allow the convertible top to dry according to the instructions on the waterproofing package. Depending on the product, this can take several hours or even days.
- Make sure the roof is completely dry before putting it back together.
- Regularly check the condition of the convertible top and re-impregnate if necessary, usually every few months or as recommended by the waterproofing manufacturer.
Remember that the waterproofing of the convertible top is designed to protect it from rain and other weather conditions. However, it does not provide protection against mechanical damage, such as scratches and abrasions. Therefore, it is important to be careful and avoid contact with hard or sharp objects! We wish you a good time!